Rules at Raw Learning
These rules apply to every person at Raw Learning, no matter how young or old, big or small.
These rules can be changed at any time. Just call a meeting, and we will all decide by consensus.
RAW LEARNING RULES
No one can take anything from anyone. (7/1/09)
- If anybody is near an item, you must ask, “Is anybody using this?” (11/09)
- If someone is using or has something and another wants a turn, then they need to set the timer for 15 minutes, and the other person must give them a turn when the time is up. (10/26/09 revised 11/11/11)
- If something is in someone’s cubby, then no one can touch it or take it. (10/26/09)
- If someone brings an item from home and the item is out of the cubby, someone else can set the timer for 15 minutes, and the item must be shared when the time is up. (10/26/09)
- If an item is brought from home and is in someone’s pocket, purse, backpack, or bag, then it is the same as if the item is in their cubby. (2/15/10)
- If someone is using a cave and another wants a turn, then they can set the timer for 45 minutes, and the other must give them a turn. If someone is sleeping or feeling sick, they can stay in the cave as long as they need. (2/19/10)
- No one can claim or destroy an item that is Raw Learning property unless everyone agrees. (5/17/10)
- If you want to continue using something, someone can watch it for you. (5/21/10)
- If something is created with Raw Learning property and put into a cubby and the possessor is absent then:
- They need to write a note and leave it for the possessor with the date and put the date on the calendar in the library.
- Then the possessor will write them back with instructions which they must follow.
- After 2 weeks the item can be removed and instructions disregarded.(revised 10/11/11)
- You can ask to have a photo taken of your creation. (5/21/10)
- If anyone wants to jump into cushions in the middle of the library, everyone must move out of the way to the caves or to the side of the love seat. (10/6/10)
- No one can play on or delete A.J. R.'s (2/10/11), Selah's, Riesling's or Cashel's (4/27/11), Patricia's (10/5/11) Stacy's, Hailey's and Simon's (11/3/11) computer accounts without their permission. So that others can play on the computer there will be a Raw Learning account created on each game that can not be deleted.
- Everyone can choose what they want to participate in. (2/19/10)
- If a meeting is happening in a room, all must participate, be quiet, or leave the room. (9/8/09)
- If someone wants to play, please don’t ignore them. Kindly tell them when you will be ready to play. This can up to 24 minutes. For 5 and under, 5 minutes or less. You can let them play if they don’t have another friend. Let them know why now isn’t a good time to play. Immediately make them feel included in some way. (11/09, revised 6/14/10)
- If someone is breaking the rules, tell a volunteer, and they will help you work it out. (1/4/10)
- If someone participates in something that makes a mess, then they should help clean it up. If they won’t, the volunteer could come ask the person if they want help. And you can tell your feelings about cleaning up or not cleaning up. (5/3/10)
- Clay--Only play with it in the art room or outside. (5/3/10)
- If someone is calling names, then tell them to stop, and they may not call you names for the rest of that day. (6/3/10)
- The loudest the volume can be on the computer is at the line on the speaker. (9/17/10)
- To protect the fabric from make up, put a large piece of paper under it. (11/1/10)
- Do not destroy other people’s property. (11/1/10)
- Roller skating/blading is only allowed indoors when it is raining or snowy. (11/11/10)
- When a class is being held in a room, all electronics must be inaudible, and the screen must be off. The only exception is the Raw Learning web site. (1/7/11)
- If you think a word is potentially offensive, please don’t say it. If someone says an offensive word, let them know that it is offensive. (1/11/11)
- No one can walk or jump on either couch without cushions. The striped loveseat must maintain bottom cushions at all times. Top cushions on the striped loveseat and both top and bottom cushions on the large sofa may be removed. (2/25/11)
- Do not climb in or move the painted bin in the big room. (2/25/11)
- No one can climb on the foosball table, the air hockey table, or the ping pong table. (2/25/11)
- Ask everyone in the room to turn the light on or off. To insist, set the timer for 6 minutes. (2/25/11)
- If someone smells like poop the person should go into the bathroom and change out of whatever smells like poop. (3/14/11)
- Folks may not interrupt a class by announcing or telling class participants what other activities are currently happening. (5/23/11)
If a class requires field trips then young folks will be informed of this and that they can come on a different day if they don't want to leave Raw Learning. If they sign up for the class then they must leave Raw Learning with the group. If they change their mind that day then they can go home and make the ½ day or day up. When they are on the field trip they don't have to participate in the class. (6/6/11)
- Caves are private. If someone wants in, they can knock and ask, or the person in the cave can invite them in. (1/4/10)
- If you want to make sure you have privacy when using the restroom, ask a volunteer to make sure you have privacy. (9/18/09)
- Girls only in the girls’ restroom, and boys only in the boys’ restroom unless a person is with their parent or a volunteer. If someone wants to come in, they can knock and ask, or the people can agree to invite them in. (2/22/10)
- If a person is on the toilet, another person can not invite a person of the opposite sex in unless it is ok with the person on the toilet. (9/16/11)
- People will sign up to be hit or not to be hit. If “no hitting” people want to play fight they need to tell a volunteer and agree on what is acceptable or not. “Hitting” people can say stop if they don't want to be hit them. (2/14/11)
- When a person says stop, then you must stop if they think you are hurting, being very annoying, or frustrating. (9/8/09)
- If someone is hurting someone and does not respond to stop, an adult will ask the young person to leave the room until they are feeling calmer in order to maintain safety at Raw Learning. (10/16/09)
- If you want to go outside of Raw Learning, including outside the gate, up the stairs or to the water fountain, let an adult know first. (5/7/10)
- The horse must be carried with the head up. The pad taped to the bottom of the horse must not be removed. (2/24/10)
- If we are away from Raw Learning on a trip, you must tell a Raw Learning volunteer if you will be out of sight. (6/10)
- When you want to shut a door, you must look for people approaching. If someone is approaching or near, you must ask them if they want to come in or stay out before you softly shut the door. (9/27/10)
- Everyone must properly wash their hands with soap and water for 20 seconds after using the toilet. (2/21/11)
Food and Drink
- Dry food can be taken anywhere in Raw Learning as long as it is on a plate or table. (10/20/09)
- If someone spills the food, then they need to clean it up. If it is a person younger than 5 years old who won’t pick it up, Riesling, Elizabeth, or Elaina will clean up the food. (10/20/09)
- Drinks need to moved in covered containers. (10/20/09)
- Wet food can be taken anywhere if eaten over a lunch box or bag. If the person doesn’t have a bag, Raw Learning will give them 2 per trimester. (11/17/10)
- Juice boxes can be anywhere but must be kept 4 squares away from rugs all the time. (2/29/10)
- No eating or drinking in the hall or walkways of the Big Room. (2/22/10)
- Food only in the game room or art room for the rest of the trimester if you leave your food in the library, big room or outside and you leave the room and are then reminded to clean it up once and then still don't clean it up. (3/7/11)
- Do Not climb on trees, bushes, or shrubbery.
- Do Not climb on the fence.
- Do Not hurt the trees, bushes, shrubbery, or fence.
- Do Not throw or kick stones, pebbles, or hard balls inside or outside.
- Do Not leave equipment outside of the playground area after we leave at the end of the day.
- Do Not put anything in the restrooms, hallway or walkways of the Big Room. These areas must remain clear. (Added 6/2/11)
**These rules can not be changed.